Cycling is a great way to keep fit and a greener way to travel, but it carries the risk of being involved in a road traffic accident, as does driving a vehicle and even being a pedestrian. Did you know that cyclists who are involved in road traffic accidents are often entitled to compensation for their injuries?

Road traffic accidents involving cyclists can range from minor injuries to severe and even fatal accidents, and it is vital to seek legal advice if you have been injured in an accident of this type. Accidents that involve cyclists commonly lead to injuries such as head injuries, injuries to the limbs or collarbone, and back or neck injuries, including whiplash.

What to do if you are Injured in an Accident?

If you are a cyclist and you are injured in an accident, you should follow these guidelines to protect your health and ensure that you are adequately compensated for your injuries:

  • Seek medical advice. When you are involved in a road traffic accident, the most important thing is to seek medical attention as soon as possible to establish the extent of your injuries. If you, or anyone else involved in the accident, require urgent medical help, an ambulance should be called to the scene of the accident. If you do not believe that you have been seriously injured, you should still visit the local hospital or doctor’s surgery to check the severity of any injuries you have sustained and provide a record of the accident and your health at this time. Your medical records will form a substantial part of any subsequent compensation claim, and injuries such as whiplash can develop gradually so it is important to seek medical advice even if you do not think you are seriously injured.
  • Report the accident. If the accident is serious, it is likely that the Gardai will be called and will attend the scene as soon as possible. If the accident is minor, you should visit your nearest Garda station as soon as possible and report the details of your case.
  • Exchange details. If you are not seriously injured, you should remain at the scene of the accident and exchange details with any other people involved in the accident. You should record the registration plates of any vehicles involved in the accident, and the name, address and insurance details of each driver.
  • Record the scene. You should take photographs of the scene of the accident and make a note of the situation. It can help to write down your version of events as soon as possible, so that you have a record to refer back to. If there are witnesses to the accident, you should ask them for their details as they may be required to make a report or statement about how the accident occurred.
  • Take legal advice. If you have been injured while cycling, you may be entitled to claim compensation for your injuries and the effect the accident has on your life. You should speak to an experienced personal injury solicitor to find out the best way to proceed, which will usually involve an application to the Personal Injuries Board. Your solicitor will help you to gather all relevant information, including the details of the accident and your medical records, and will work with you to ensure that you are fully compensated for the injuries you have sustained. A compensation claim will depend upon the type and severity of your injuries, but even minor injuries may be eligible for compensation. If you have been seriously injured, you may seek compensation for any loss of earnings, including if you are unable to return to work in the future, as well as medical costs, lifestyle adjustments and psychological effects of your injuries. Your claim will be assessed by the Personal Injuries Board and you should consider any compensation offer with your solicitor before accepting a settlement.

It is important to note that you are not obliged to accept an initial settlement offer, and you should discuss this with your solicitor as it may be increased significantly if you do not accept. Once you have accepted a settlement, your case will be considered to be settled in full, and you will not be able to apply for further compensation at a later date.

Find Personal Injury Solicitors in Cork

If you have been injured as a cyclist in a road traffic accident, you should speak with an experienced personal injury solicitor to find out how to claim the compensation to which you are entitled. Our expert team of personal injury specialists at Irwin, Kilculllen & Co Solicitors will be very happy to discuss your case with you. Simply contact us online or call us today on +021 4270934 to see how we can help.