If you have been involved in a road traffic accident, your first thoughts will be to attend to injuries and ensure that you and your family get the medical attention you need. However, you may then consider making a claim for compensation against the driver who caused the accident. If you are a cyclist, or if the driver you are claiming against is uninsured or cannot be traced, many people assume that this process will be much more difficult.
Cyclist in road accident
When you are cycling on roads, unprotected by a seatbelt and a surrounding vehicle, you are at greater risk of injury and more vulnerable to accidents. Accidents involving cyclists are surprisingly common, and if you are involved in one, it is your right as a road user to make a personal injury compensation claim to recover costs for the injuries you have sustained, as well as any losses.

How To Make A Personal Claim Against An Uninsured Or Untraced Driver:

• Get medical help first. If you have been in an accident, it is, of course, essential to seek medical help and advice first of all. If you do not require immediate medical treatment, for example if your injuries are not apparent straight away, you should still seek advice from a medical professional as your medical records will form an important part of your compensation claim.

• Talk to an experienced solicitor. Here at Irwin, Kilculllen & Co Solicitors, we work with many clients to make personal injury claims. Making a claim can be a stressful process, and it is made much easier when you have an experienced solicitor to handle it for you. It is much more likely that you will receive an amount of compensation that reflects the impact of your injury on your health and your lifestyle if you are represented by a legal professional.

• Claim via the MIBI. Many people fear that they will be unable to make a compensation claim if they are injured in an accident with a driver who is not insured or cannot be traced. However, the only difference is that you will be claiming via the Motor Insurer’s Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) rather than a private insurance company. The MIBI is funded by the insurance industry and protects those who are injured by uninsured or untraceable drivers. The MIBI will examine a claim to establish fault for the accident, and assess the impact it has had on your life in order to determine the level of compensation you are entitled to.

Find Personal Injury Solicitors in Cork

Have you been in an accident that was not your fault? If you have sustained an injury in a road traffic accident, whether you were driving or cycling, you can talk to us at Irwin, Kilcullen & Co Solicitors for advice on making a compensation claim. We specialise in personal injury cases, and we will work with you to achieve the best possible outcomes. Simply contact us online or call us today on +021 4270934 to see how we can help.